Monday, March 26, 2012

Cilantro Lime Chicken

I was looking for something new and fresh to make for dinner, and I was reminded of a teryiaki lime shrimp dish my neighbor used to make for our weekly bbq get together. Now for some reason I can't figure out exactly how he got his shrimp maranade to taste so good compared to when I make it, and became convinced that he had a secret recipe. This inspired me to dress up my chicken with a cilantro lime teryiaki sauce.

you can substitute boneless skinless and/or breast. I feel that the thigh is a cost-friendly and more flavorful cut of the chicken, so I tend to use it in a lot of my chicken recipes.

4 bone-in chicken thighs
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 whole good sized scallion (2 if they're small)
2+ cloves of garlic per taste (hey some people like their garlic!)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 lime halved
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
*1/2 small white onion optional

Preheat oven to 500F. Prep chicken by scoring the skin side down the bone in 3/4" intervals.

Chop cilantro, scallion (up to green) garlic and *optional onion until fine. Emulsify with soy sauce, oyster sauce and olive oil in food processor. Seperate sauce into 2 bowls, one for raw chicken and one for cooked.

Line baking dish. Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper. Brush chicken with sauce.

Bake at 500 for 25 minutes. Set oven to broil, and let broil for 3 minutes to get a nice crust on the chicken. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. It is very important for taste that you let it rest after cooking so all of the juices can settle into the meat.

When you plate this chicken, top with some of the extra sauce, the sliced up green parts of the scallion, some fresh black pepper and cilantro.

Two great ways to serve this dish is with rice and avacado or with a fresh cilantro and avacado salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment