Wednesday, December 21, 2011

3 cheese Sweetened Bacon Mac and Cheese with Apples - mmmm

I created a new recipe after a housewarming party with some friends. Amazing appetizers including a gorganzola cream cheese, crackers, apples and sweetened bacon. That night we went to the in-laws and watched Triple-D Detroit where they made a macaroni and cheese. Instantly a light popped on in my mind. Why not make the appetizer into a delicious mac and cheese? Those who know me know that Mac is my all-time favorite food - just call me the Mac lady.



Here is my recipe
1 lb elbow macaroni
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp flour
dash of nutmeg
dash of pepper
dash sea salt
1/2 cup mixed shredded cheese (I used the costco mexican style blend)
1/4 cup gorganzola
2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
extra cheese of choice for baking (I like to use sliced cheddar)
1/2 lb thick sliced bacon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Red pepper flake to taste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup panko
1 green apple chopped

I begin by popping the bacon into the oven. Sprinkle the bacon with brown sugar and pepper flakes, and bake in a 375 oven until desired crisp. I cook until I smell the bacon across the house. Pull the bacon out and start the macaroni.

I start cooking the noodles before I start the sauce, I want them to be done about the same time so I dont have to drain the noodles and let them sit in the strainer.

Once the noodles are started, I heat the butter and flour over medium low heat to make a roux. Once my roux has formed, I add the heavy cream and mix until smooth. Add the pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Then add all of the cheeses and mix over low heat until smooth again. Add 2/3 of your bacon.

Scoop the noodles with a slotted spoon into the sauce. Let most of the water to drain out, but you want a little of it to transfer. Mix well.

Put into the baking dish, cover with your extra cheese, bread crumbs and panko. Sprinkle left over bacon on top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Top with apples and serve. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment